Send The Fire
Faith and Friends
Supplies & Purchasing
Canadian Staff Band
SA Guitar Songs
Ministry Resources Poll
There are no polls available to view at this time.
What is this?
Subscribe to e-TIPS
tips for youth workers FEBRUARY 2014
SAYING GOODBYE TO SATURDAY NIGHT FEVERS
Pulling another older book off the shelf, to discover that authors Lois Keffer and Dean Stone give some great advice to help you change your teaching from average to terrific in their book
HEARTS, BRAINS & GROWING PAINS
(Cook Communications). Many of us have been guilty of forgetting about the class we teach or the program we have to put together until the night before. Chapter 2, "Saying Goodbye to Saturday Night Fever" offers some simple, yet great advice. But first consider these benefits of preparing ahead of time:
You'll sleep better.
You can spend Saturday night with family or friends.
You'll teach better.
Parents will appreciate you.
Kids will behave better.
You'll have a gentle, quiet spirit.
You'll be nicer to your family on Saturday.
Kids will learn more.
You'll have time to delegate.
God will be glorified.
Keffer and Stone have many different ideas to help you be prepared. One recommendation is that you spend 10 minutes each day preparing during the week for Sunday (or whatever day you have to teach). Try the daily steps below to keep you from feeling overwhelmed.
- Read through the lesson and choose the activities that are best for your kids and make a note of the supplies you need. Add them to your shopping list.
- Read the Bible story from the Bible, and then from your teaching guide once more. View the story/lesson from your kids' perspective of what God desires for them.
- Pray for your class members. Do you know what your kids are struggling with? Write down the Bible truth and memory verse from the lesson on a post-it note and stick it where you'll see it.
- Memorize the Bible verse and think about the Bible truth. What do you think God wants your kids to get and take away from this Bible truth? Double-check your supplies.
- Collect EVERYTHING you need for Sunday (or whatever day you teach) and put it in a tote bag. Put the bag somewhere convenient so you won't forget it. Do a quick scan of your lesson to help set it in your mind.
- Celebrate the fact that you are prepared! Pray for each young person in your class.
- Focus on your kids and enjoy them. Ask God to shine through you!
Subscribe to e-TIPS
4 (1 vote)
(77 - includes this page)
Fourth Prayer Weekend for Children/Youth
Second Prayer Weekend for Children/Youth
Third Prayer Weekend for Children/Youth
Youth Discipleship Materials
Ministry to Children and Youth Update
Share this Page:
Copyright © 2014 The Salvation Army. All rights reserved.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda Territory.
Charitable Number: 107951618 RR0001
Territorial Commander: Commissioner Brian Peddle
Corps Ministries Department
Layout loosely based on licenced copy of
Web site powered by
Ecclesiact Web System